All right... Now I wanna discuss the subject on how to get yourself some techno gigs. It doesn't really matter how awesome your DJ skills are if nobody knows you. Therefore I wanna hand out some good advice about how to get some gigs.
• Try to hand out as many mix-tapes as possible to promoters - still without being too annoying:) You need to be out there at the clubs talking to dj's, club owners, promoters, club kids, coke dealers - you name it! In other words: make yourself visible in the nightlife - get your name out there and get to know the "right people"!
• Well, if you're producing tracks and so on - it's obviuos that with a decent release you'll more or less get a gig in no time. I know it's not the easiets thing to do. But if you wanna spin some records abroad this is the way to it!
• You can also do what I did back in the days; start organizing your own parties. This is really a great way to get on the dj ladder. As a promoter/booker you will in a short amount of time get to know a lot of new people = which means gigs.
Just remember to be persistant and work your ass off. You wont be able to spin records at Berghain in Berlin after one week!
• Make yourself a website or even better; a myspace profile. Online networking as you might know is not bad at all.
• Well, If you're a girl, your chances are way better than boys in order to get gigs. I'm not a male chauvinist - not at all. This is just facts even though I don't like it. However, I love female jocks - just take a look at Magda - amazing!
I hope you see a pattern; DJ skills don't get you anywhere. You can be Jeff Mills playing on 4 turntables and without contacts or releases no one fucking cares. Get out there and do what it takes even though out might have to lick some ases:)
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Posted by Peter at 12:47 PM